Breathing For Relaxation
Shallow, rapid breathing results from tension. Deep breathing helps relax you
Learning deep breathing reduces muscle tension thereby lessening pain. To begin, find a quiet warm place, where you won't be disturbed. Once this technique is learnt it can follow you into any situation you are in.
- Make your self comfortable i.e. lie down on your back, turn on your side or sit up straight.
- Loosen any tight clothing
- Begin by listening to your breathing without changing its natural pattern
- Breathe through your nose (or mouth if your nose is blocked)
- Put your hands over your stomach area and feel your hands rise and fall.
- Imagine you are breathing into your hands. Relax your stomach muscles. Take deep, slow breaths. Remember to breathe at your own pace
- As you breathe out, imagine your tensions are being breathed away. Every time you breathe in, imagine you are breathing in peace
Always keep your breathing natural.